1 med.-lg. zucchini, grated, approx. 2 cups
½ onion, finely diced
Kosher salt, to taste 2 T. finely chopped chives 3 T. Potato starch/ or flour 2 large eggs, lightly beaten cracked black pepper Canola oil for frying
– On the large hole side of a box grater grate the zucchini and onions, mix together.
– Sprinkle mixture with salt and transfer to a sieve set over a bowl. Let sit for approx. 10 minutes. Squeeze out as much liquid from mixture as possible.
– Add all remaining ingredients to the zucchini/onion mixture, except for the Canola oil, and mix gently.
– Pour enough of the Canola oil into a 10” – 12” heavy weight skillet until it reaches a depth of 1⁄4″. Heat over medium-high. Working in small batches, form mixture into balls using about 1⁄4 cup of the mixture for each. Place gently in the oil flattening each ball gently with a spatula to form 3″–4″ pancakes. At the 2-minute mark check to see if golden brown. If they are the desired colour flip. If not, leave for another minute. They are done when they are golden brown, crisp, and cooked through, about 2-3 minutes. Transfer the pancakes to a paper-towel lined plate to take off any oil residue.
– Sprinkle with Maldon Salt if using a side dish
Serve with sliced tomato, bacon, and poached eggs for breakfast, or as a side with any meal.